Breakfast Nachos (The Ultimate Hangover Cure)
What started as a discussion about hangover cures ended in this recipe for loaded breakfast nachos. Pretty smart, if you ask us. Layers of crispy tortilla chips, melted cheese, hash browns and breakfast sausage are just the things to soak up what remains of last night’s revelry. We once heard that fats and proteins would make us feel better after a late night, so we fried up some eggs and served them on top for good measure. The fixins are up to you, but we like the classics: avocado, cilantro, Pico de Gallo, and spicy jalapeños. The only thing you’ll need now is someone to make them for you.
1. 3 tablespoons olive oil
2. 1 pound of Larkin Bros. breakfast sausage, casings removed
3. 1 pound frozen hash browns
4. 1 13-ounce bag restaurant-style tortilla chips
5. 8 oz. Sharp yellow cheddar, grated
6. 8 oz. Monterey jack, grated
7. 6 large eggs (or 1 per person)
8. Pickled jalapenos, avocado, cilantro, and Pico de Gallo for serving
1. Preheat oven to 450°F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil.
2. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium high. Add sausage and cook, breaking up with a wooden spoon, until cooked through and crispy in spots, 6–8 minutes. Transfer to a plate using a slotted spoon.
3. Add 1 tablespoon oil to skillet. Add hash browns and cook, breaking up with a wooden spoon, until browned and crispy, 6 to 8 minutes; remove from heat.
4. Arrange half of the chips on the prepared baking sheet. Top with half of the cheese, hash browns, and breakfast sausage. Top with remaining chips, cheese, hash browns and sausage. Transfer to oven and bake until cheese is melted and bubbly, about 5 minutes.
5. Meanwhile, wipe out skillet and heat remaining tablespoon oil over medium-high. Crack eggs into skillet and cook until whites are set, edges are crispy, and yolks are still runny, about 2 minutes. Top nachos with eggs, pickled jalapeños, avocado, cilantro, and Pico de Gallo. Olé!